HISTORY OF THE BETTUCCHI COAT OF ARMS
The house of Bettucchi, also called Bettucci and Bettocchi, has left old memories in Florence and in Lucca. It was written in the nobility of these cities, for having covered the positions of government during the times of the communal systems. An old branch flourished in Bologna and it was also entered in that citizenry. The house was made illustrious by the hydraulic engineer Alessandro, born in Rome in 1828. The crest was presented to him during that period. It has been reconstructed by Moretti of Florence and is conserved at the Archaeological Library of Bologna for Bettucchi, and the Bettucchi family, origin of Bologna-Emilia. In the language of the ancient heralds, the arms are described as follows: the roosters signify courageous warriors, ready to take up arms and symbolize alertness and health. The coat of arms also incorporates the color blue, which represents loyalty and splendor.
HISTORY OF THE BETTUCCHI’S
The “Bettucchi” name comes from the region of Emilia-Romagnia, whose capitol is the city of Bologna. Bologna is situated 110 kilometers north of Florence and 160 kilometers south of Venice. South of Bologna, on the Tuscan-Emilia Alps, there are patches of greenery, with large spaces of grassy areas. During the winter, it is cold and snowy, with the grass having a deep green color. The summers are very hot and humid. The area is historically noted to have been settled by the Etruscans, with many Etruscan geological sites throughout the region. Colonization also occurred by the Celts, the Romans, the Lombard’s, and finally during the late Medieval period, the Byzantines.
In all probability, between the 13th and the 14th centuries, it is believed that the Bettucchi clan emigrated from Tuscany, above the mountains of Pistoia’s edge to the Bolognese territories, in the area of Capugnano. During the 15th century, they settled in Castel di Casio and thereafter in Bombiana, Silla, Poreta and Vergato. The first historical mention of the name appeared in the 1400’s, in the area of Capugnano. They settled in the area of Trorio, in the mid-valley of the Silla and Pian di Favaloe. The name Bettucchi is again found in 1490, where they came from Poggio and Valle, colonizing Minella and Scannoregio.
From 1540 to the end of the 1880’s, a branch of the Bettucchi family settled north of the town of “Vergato”, known as “Susano ai Boschi, Spesola”. From that period of time to the early 1900’s, that particular branch was peasants cultivating the land and living at what is still known today, in 2013, as Casa Caligari. In the first years of the early 1900’s, the Bettucchi’s from this branch immigrated to Bonifaccio, Corsica, some to Tripoli, Libya, and some to General Pico, Buenos Aires, Argentina. In 1886, another branch of the Bettucchi’s settled in the region of Liguria, in the city of Genova.
The Bettucchi name is today found throughout the northern region of Italy, in Valencia, Venezuela and in the United States, the San Francisco Bay Area. Research is still continuing, seeking to unite the Bettucchi branches for this web site. Any additional information or addition that could be useful for this genealogy, please refer to the top of this page and click under “Contacts”.