* ALESSANDRO BETTUCCHI - Born in Rome in 1828, was a Hydraulic Engineer. He was written in the nobility of Florence and Lucca, for having covered the positions of government, during the times of the communal systems. The Bettucchi family Crest was awarded to him during the period.
* PIETRO BETTUCCHI - Born on June 29, 1857 at Castel di Casio, whose father was Giovanni Michele Bettucchi and mother Catrina Taglioli. On June 2, 1878, there was an anti-lighting wire hanging from the side of the “Asinelli” towers, which are located in the center of the city of Bologna. In less than 15 minutes, he climbed to the top and descended the 100 meters outside the wall of the tower. He was arrested by the local authorities, but later released. He wed Luigia Delle Fabriche, who was born in 1866 and died in Tripoli on Jan. 19, 1931. In Tripoli, Libya, where Pietro emigrated, he formed a construction company, together with his son Pietro and daughter Margherita. He died in Tripoli on Dec. 25, 1933. He and his wife are buried in a private chapel within the Christian Cemetery at Gargarish, Tripoli.
* CATERINA BETTUCCHI - Born on September 30, 1868, at Vergato, to Vincenzo Bettucchi and StellinaVenturi. She lived at the same location, at Susano, above Vergato, until 1943 and was an agricultural landowner. She was captured, together with ten other persons, by the Nazi's on December 13, 1944, in the area of Susano ai Boschi, Vergato. They were trying to cross the front lines to reach the Alto Reno river zone, which had already been liberated by the allies. At age 76, she was killed by four Nazi SS soldiers, along with her son Antonio Mattioli (age 50), her granddaughter Sara Mattioli (age 13), together with seven others. On the site where they were executed (see above right), a memorial monument was built in 1975 which lists the names and the ages of each individual.
* LUIGI ARTURO BETTUCCHI - Born on March 22, 1883 at Porretta Terme to Gaetano Bettucchi and Caterina Bernardi. He was a Stone Cutter and politically an Anarchist. Due to his political activities, he was singled out in 1909. Then, in 1941, he was taken off the subversive list.
* ADRIANO BETTUCCHI – Born on November 21, 1914 in Bologna to Antonio Bettucchi and his wife Teresa. On July 7, 1939, he graduated from the University of Bologna in Economics and Commerce. In 1942, during the Second Word War, he was drafted and transferred to the 8th Mobile Division “Torino”. Given the rank of Lieutenant, he was sent to the Russian front. On December 31, 1942, in the disastrous retreat at the river “Don”, by the ARMIT (Italian Army in Russia), he was given up as lost in battle.
* SAVINO BETTUCCHI – Born on July 14, 1892, in Bonifaccio, Corsica, whose father Giulio Bettucchi and mother Enrica Macchelli, had immigrated from the town of Vergato, near Bologna, Italy. At eight years of age, his family returned to Italy. He was raised in the town of Piaggione, about twelve kilometers north of the city of Lucca, on the Via Brenero. In 1915, during the First World War, he died fighting in Libya. His name is recorded on the World War One Memorial Statue, located on church grounds of Piaggione.
* ANGIOLINA BETTUCCHI - Born on November 12, 1896, at Gaggio Montano to Luigi Bettucchi and Maria Santini Cioni. She was a farmer. On September 28, 1944, she was captured by the SS, together with about 60 others, mostly women, old people and children, during a roundup in retaliation for an attack, which the brigade Montagna had completed against a column of Nazi trucks, in the area of Ronchidoso di Sotto (Gaggio Montano). She was killed by an SS firing squad on September 29, 1944. at Casone della Lamma di Ronchidoso, together with 61 others, amongst which were her husband Alberto Palmonari, her children; Federico, Gina, Santina and her grandchildren, Anna and Luigi, (children of her daughter Gina). Two other persons were shot the day before and all the bodies were burned.
* LUIGI BETTUCCHI - Born on July 30, 1926, at Gaggio Montano to Virgilio Bettucchi and Matilde Managlia. He had an Elementary License and was a laborer. He was a member of the 1st Battalion of the 7th Brigade Modena, Division Armando, and operated on the Appennino mountains, between Toscani and Emilia. He was recognized as a Partisan from May 1, 1944 to November 30, 1944.
* UMBERTO BETTUCCHI - Born on October 30, 1926 at Gaggio Montano to Attilio Bettucchi and Nina Vedovini. He was a mechanic by trade, and in 1943 he moved to Granaglione. He became a Partisan, and on November 3, 1943, was captured and killed by a German SS firing squad, at Verbania, Province of Novara. His photograph is exposed amongst the hundreds of photographs in Piazza Maggiore, on the wall of the city hall, in the city of Bologna. He is buried at the cemetery of Purretta Terme, together with his parents.
TITLES of CAVALIERI
A very historical family “The Bettucchi’s”, which its’ clear and virtue life has spread during the course of centuries, in the diverse regions of Italy. The origin of the name seems to have originated, according to illustrious genealogists, from the mediaeval name “Bettus”, probably belonging to an unknown founder. In any case, the name began to become honored in the Cavalieri, following the participation and the demonstration of courage and honor of Pietro Bettucchi, in the battle of Lepanto in 1571, under the impetus of the Holy See. During the centuries, the family was able to distinguish itself, not only to their families, but also the cities where they lived. Amongst these we remember the following;
1564 – Paolo Bettucchi – Regiment Commander, served in the army of Carlo III of Savoia. Lived in Savoia.
1564 – Marino Bettucchi – Doctorate of Law. Lived in Bologna.
1569 – Giorgio Bettucchi – A professional soldier in the service of the Venetian highness. Lived in Venice.
1571 – Pietro Bettucchi – Distinguished himself in the battle of Lepanto.
1584 – Paolo Bettucchi – Military Commander of the Holy Roman Church. Lived in Bologna.
1587 – Giovanni Bettucchi – Chancellor and Chairman of the Board of the Papal State.
1611 – Don Luigi Bettucchi – Apostolic representative in Rieti and consultant for the Duke’s council. Lived in Rieti.
1621 – Saverio Bettucchi – Doctorate of Laws. Lived in Bologna.
1633 – Martino Bettucchi – Consultant for the Duke.
1643 – Father Luigi Bettucchi – Doctorate in Sacred Theology.
1652 – Ambrogio Bettucchi – Notary. Lived in Mantova.
1656 – Father Mattia Bettucchi – Canonist, Theologian and Apostolic Notary. Lived in Mantova.
1701 – Gregorio Bettucchi – Lawyer, consultant at the beginning of the XVIII century. Lived in Mantova.
1701 – Luigi Bettucchi- Lawyer, consultant. Lived in Bologna.
1742 – Filipo Maria Bettucchi – Doctor of Medicine, member of numerous academies, and writer of different scientific researches. Lived in Mantova.
1787 – Father Diomede Bettucchi – Member and General of the Jesuit order of preaching. Lived in Modena.
1868 – Alessandro Bettucchi – Primary engineer of the Pontifical Corps of water and roads. He was also the ordinary member of the Pontifical Academy of new works. Lived in Rome.
1976 – Alvaro Alessandro Bettucchi – Eduacator, Professional musician, South San Francisco 1988 Man of the year, Cavaliere Ufficiale in 1989, Northern California Soccer Hall of Fame, Gold Medal of Honor from the city of Lucca, promoter of Italian Language and Culture. Lived in South San Francisco, California.